What To Know
- Bring to a simmer and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- The flavor of the bourbon will shine through in the final dish, so it’s important to use a bourbon that you enjoy drinking.
- Add a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of minced garlic to the marinade for a sweet and savory flavor.
The bourbon chicken recipe using hoisin sauce is a delectable dish that combines the smoky flavor of bourbon with the sweet and tangy taste of hoisin sauce. This popular dish is a staple in many Chinese restaurants and can be easily recreated at home with a few simple ingredients.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
1. Prepare the Chicken: Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces and set them aside.
2. Marinate the Chicken: In a large bowl, combine the chicken, bourbon, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, black pepper, and salt. Mix well to coat the chicken. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
3. Cook the Chicken: Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the Sauce: Pour the remaining marinade into the skillet with the chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
5. Garnish and Serve: Garnish the bourbon chicken with chopped green onions. Serve over rice or noodles, and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Perfect Bourbon Chicken:
- Use a good quality bourbon. The flavor of the bourbon will shine through in the final dish, so it’s important to use a bourbon that you enjoy drinking.
- Don’t overcook the chicken. Chicken breast can easily become dry and tough if it’s overcooked. Cook it just until it’s cooked through, about 5-7 minutes per side.
- Make sure the sauce is thick enough. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the chicken and rice or noodles. If it’s too thin, simmer it for a few more minutes until it thickens.
- Serve the bourbon chicken immediately. This dish is best served hot and fresh.
Variations on the Bourbon Chicken Recipe:
- Spicy Bourbon Chicken: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the marinade for a spicy kick.
- Honey Garlic Bourbon Chicken: Add a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of minced garlic to the marinade for a sweet and savory flavor.
- Pineapple Bourbon Chicken: Add a cup of pineapple chunks to the skillet along with the chicken. Cook until the pineapple is heated through.
- Vegetable Bourbon Chicken: Add a cup of your favorite vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, or bell peppers, to the skillet along with the chicken. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Rice: Serve the bourbon chicken over a bed of steamed rice.
- Noodles: Serve the bourbon chicken over a bed of cooked noodles, such as ramen noodles or spaghetti.
- Vegetables: Serve the bourbon chicken with a side of steamed vegetables.
- Salad: Serve the bourbon chicken with a side salad.
Storage and Reheating:
- Storage: Leftover bourbon chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheating: To reheat the bourbon chicken, place it in a skillet over medium heat and cook until warmed through. You can also reheat the bourbon chicken in the microwave on high power for 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through.
“End of Post” Section
That concludes our bourbon chicken recipe using hoisin sauce! We hope you enjoy this flavorful and easy-to-make dish. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I use a different type of alcohol in place of bourbon?
A: Yes, you can use a different type of alcohol in place of bourbon, such as whiskey, rum, or vodka. However, the flavor of the dish will be slightly different.
Q: Can I use a different type of sauce in place of hoisin sauce?
A: Yes, you can use a different type of sauce in place of hoisin sauce, such as teriyaki sauce, oyster sauce, or plum sauce. However, the flavor of the dish will be slightly different.
Q: Can I make this dish in a slow cooker?
A: Yes, you can make this dish in a slow cooker. Simply combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.