What To Know
- Add the chicken pieces to the skillet, and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- The dish is prepared using skinless, boneless chicken thighs that are marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger.
- Bourbon chicken is a dish that is made with chicken that is marinated in a mixture of bourbon, soy sauce, honey, ginger, and garlic.
Bourbon chicken is a delicious dish that is perfect for any occasion. However, it can be a bit tricky to prepare. In this blog post, we will discuss how to prepare bourbon chicken. We will cover everything from the ingredients required to the cooking process. By the end of this post, you will be an expert at preparing this delicious dish!
How To Prepare Bourbon Chicken
Bourbon chicken is a popular dish that originated in Hong Kong. The dish consists of chicken pieces that have been marinated in a sweet and savory sauce, and then stir-fried with vegetables. While the original version of this dish typically contains bourbon whiskey, many recipes omit the alcohol.
To prepare bourbon chicken, you will need the following ingredients:
* 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
* 1/4 cup of soy sauce
* 1/4 cup of honey
* 1/4 cup of bourbon whiskey (optional)
* 2 cloves of garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon of salt
* 1/2 cup of cornstarch
* 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup of sliced bell peppers
* 1/2 cup of sliced onions
Start by slicing the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Then, in a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey, bourbon whiskey (if using), garlic, ginger, black pepper, and salt. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl, and stir to coat them with the marinade. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight in the refrigerator.
In a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water. Stir until the cornstarch has dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces to the skillet, and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet, and set aside.
Add the bell peppers and onions to the skillet, and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Return the chicken to the skillet, and pour in the cornstarch mixture. Stir until the sauce thickens and coats the chicken and vegetables.
Serve the bourbon chicken over rice, or with a side of steamed vegetables. Enjoy!
What Are The Key Ingredients Needed To Make Bourbon Chicken?
- Bourbon Chicken is a dish that is made with a few key ingredients. Here are the key ingredients needed to make Bourbon Chicken:
- 1. Chicken breasts
- 2. Bourbon
- 3. Soy sauce
- 4. Brown sugar
What Is The Origin Of The Dish And Why Is It Called Bourbon Chicken?
The origin of Bourbon chicken can be traced back to San Francisco’s China Town. Chinese immigrants who settled in the 1800’s created this dish (source). It initially began as Panda Express’s Honey Sesame Chicken. According to Panda Express, the “Honey Sesame” dish was created in 1987. It was one of their first original recipes. However, over the years, this sweet, honey-glazed chicken has transformed into a spicy, savory, and fiery meal.
The name “Bourbon” comes from bourbon whiskey. The sauce used to prepare this dish gets its fiery kick from cayenne pepper, soy sauce, and brown sugar. The sauce’s sweet, savory, and spicy taste is reminiscent of the flavors found in bourbon whiskey. Hence, the name “Bourbon Chicken.”
The dish is prepared using skinless, boneless chicken thighs that are marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger. Then, the chicken is fried in hot oil until crispy. Finally, the fried pieces are tossed in the spicy, bourbon-flavored sauce.
Bourbon chicken is a popular dish at Chinese-American restaurants. However, you can also prepare it at home. It is an easy recipe that is perfect for weeknight dinners or special occasions.
We hope you enjoyed learning the history of Bourbon Chicken!
What Is The Difference Between Bourbon Chicken And Regular Fried Chicken?
Bourbon chicken is a dish that is made with chicken that is marinated in a mixture of bourbon, soy sauce, honey, ginger, and garlic. The chicken is then fried and served with a sweet and tangy sauce.
Regular fried chicken is made with chicken that is marinated in a mixture of buttermilk, hot sauce, and spices. The chicken is then fried and served with a dipping sauce.
One of the main differences between bourbon chicken and regular fried chicken is the marinade. Bourbon chicken is marinated in a mixture of bourbon, soy sauce, honey, ginger, and garlic, while regular fried chicken is marinated in a mixture of buttermilk, hot sauce, and spices.
Another difference is that bourbon chicken is typically served with a sweet and tangy sauce, while regular fried chicken is typically served with a dipping sauce.
Overall, bourbon chicken and regular fried chicken are both delicious dishes, but they have their own unique flavors and preparation methods.
Can You Make Bourbon Chicken At Home Or Is It A Dish That Is Best Enjoyed At A Restaurant?
Bourbon chicken is a dish that can be enjoyed at home as well as at a restaurant. The dish consists of chicken that is marinated in a sweet and tangy sauce, typically made with bourbon, soy sauce, honey, garlic, and ginger.
While it is certainly possible to make bourbon chicken at home, there are a few key steps to follow in order to get the best results. First, it is important to marinate the chicken for at least a few hours, or even overnight, in order to infuse it with flavor. Second, it is important to cook the chicken over medium heat, so that it cooks evenly and is tender and juicy. Finally, it is important to let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving, as this will allow the juices to redistribute and make the chicken even more flavorful.
Overall, making bourbon chicken at home can be a fun and delicious experience, and it is certainly a dish that can be enjoyed at both restaurants and at home.
What Are Some Popular Side Dishes That Go Well With Bourbon Chicken?
Bourbon chicken is a delicious and flavorful dish that goes well with a variety of side dishes. Some popular options include:
1. Rice: Rice is a classic side dish that pairs well with bourbon chicken. You can use white rice, brown rice, or even cauliflower rice for a low-carb option.
2. Noodles: Noodles, such as spaghetti or lo mein, are also a great choice. The noodles soak up the sauce from the chicken and create a satisfying meal.
3. Salad: A light and refreshing salad can be a great way to balance out the richness of the chicken. Try a Caesar salad, a mixed greens salad, or a spinach salad with cherry tomatoes and feta cheese.
4. Baked Beans: Baked beans are a classic side dish that goes well with bourbon chicken. The sweet and tangy flavors of the baked beans complement the savory chicken perfectly.
5. Roasted Vegetables: Roasted vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, or bell peppers, are a healthy and flavorful option. The roasted vegetables provide a nutritious contrast to the chicken.
6. Corn on the Cob: Corn on the cob is a classic summer side dish that pairs well with bourbon chicken. The sweet, juicy corn pairs perfectly with the savory flavors of the chicken.
The Bottom Line
Bourbon chicken is a delicious dish that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make, and it tastes great. If you are looking for a new recipe to try, give bourbon chicken a try. You will not be disappointed!