What To Know
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Whether you enjoy it as a weeknight dinner or a special occasion dish, this recipe is sure to impress.
Indulge in a culinary adventure with our tantalizing orange chicken recipe, a symphony of flavors that will awaken your taste buds. This dish combines the sweet, tangy zest of oranges with the savory richness of chicken, resulting in a harmonious blend that will leave you craving more. So, grab your apron and let’s embark on this zesty journey together!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
1. Preparation: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture until evenly coated.
2. Searing: Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the chicken pieces and sear for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
3. Sauce Magic: In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, orange zest, ginger, garlic powder, and onion powder until well combined.
4. Uniting Flavors: Pour the sauce over the seared chicken pieces in the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
5. Oven-Baked Goodness: Transfer the chicken and sauce mixture to a baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
6. Garnish and Serve: Remove the baking dish from the oven and sprinkle the chopped green onions over the chicken. Serve immediately with steamed rice or your favorite side dish.
- Spicy Twist: For a spicy kick, add 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes or Sriracha sauce to the sauce mixture.
- Veggie Delight: Transform this recipe into a vegetarian delight by replacing the chicken with tofu or tempeh.
- Citrus Medley: Experiment with different citrus fruits. Try a blend of orange, lemon, and grapefruit juice for a vibrant flavor profile.
Tips for Perfect Orange Chicken:
- Crispy Chicken: Ensure that the chicken is coated evenly in the flour mixture before searing. This will help create a crispy outer layer.
- Sauce Consistency: If you prefer a thicker sauce, add a cornstarch slurry (equal parts cornstarch and water) to the sauce mixture and cook until thickened.
- Fresh Ingredients: Use fresh oranges for the best flavor. Zest the oranges just before using for maximum zestiness.
- Baked, Not Fried: Baking the chicken instead of frying reduces the fat content, making it a healthier option.
- Whole-Wheat Flour: Substitute all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour for a boost of fiber.
- Reduced Sugar: Cut down on the sugar content by using a sugar substitute or honey instead of brown sugar.
Our orange chicken recipe zest is a culinary masterpiece that will tantalize your taste buds with its harmonious blend of sweet, tangy, and savory flavors. Whether you enjoy it as a weeknight dinner or a special occasion dish, this recipe is sure to impress. So, gather your ingredients, put on your apron, and let’s embark on this zestful culinary adventure together!
1. Can I use frozen chicken for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken. However, make sure to thaw it completely before cooking to ensure even cooking.
2. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can marinate the chicken in the sauce mixture for up to 24 hours before cooking. This will allow the flavors to meld and enhance the taste of the dish.
3. What side dishes go well with orange chicken?
Steamed rice, stir-fried vegetables, or a simple green salad are all great accompaniments to orange chicken.
4. Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour.
5. How can I store leftover orange chicken?
Store leftover orange chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in the oven or microwave until warmed through before serving.