What To Know
- This recipe uses low-fat yogurt, skim milk, and lean chicken breast to create a dish that is lower in calories and fat but still full of flavor.
- Chicken tikka masala is made with lean chicken breast, which is a good source of protein and low in saturated fat.
- Chicken tikka masala is a good source of vitamin C, which is an important nutrient for boosting immunity.
Chicken tikka masala is a classic Indian dish that is enjoyed by people all over the world. It is a creamy, flavorful curry that is typically made with chicken, yogurt, and spices. However, this dish can be high in calories and fat. If you are looking for a healthier version of chicken tikka masala, this recipe is for you. This recipe uses low-fat yogurt, skim milk, and lean chicken breast to create a dish that is lower in calories and fat but still full of flavor.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup skim milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, yogurt, garam masala, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne pepper, cilantro, and lemon juice. Mix well to coat the chicken.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides.
3. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger to the skillet and cook until the onion is softened.
4. Stir in the diced tomatoes and skim milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve over rice or with naan bread.
- For a spicier dish, add more cayenne pepper.
- You can also add other vegetables to this dish, such as bell peppers, carrots, or peas.
- If you don’t have garam masala, you can make your own by combining 1 teaspoon each of ground cumin, coriander, cardamom, and cloves.
- This dish can be made ahead of time and reheated when you are ready to serve.
Health Benefits of Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken tikka masala is a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. It is also a good source of antioxidants, which can help protect your cells from damage. Some of the health benefits of chicken tikka masala include:
- Reduced risk of heart disease: Chicken tikka masala is made with lean chicken breast, which is a good source of protein and low in saturated fat. This can help reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Improved blood sugar control: Chicken tikka masala is also a good source of fiber, which can help slow down the absorption of sugar into your bloodstream. This can help improve blood sugar control in people with diabetes.
- Boosted immunity: Chicken tikka masala is a good source of vitamin C, which is an important nutrient for boosting immunity. Vitamin C helps your body fight off infection.
- Healthy skin and hair: Chicken tikka masala is a good source of vitamin A, which is important for healthy skin and hair. Vitamin A helps to keep your skin looking young and healthy and can help prevent hair loss.
There are many different ways to make chicken tikka masala. Some popular variations include:
- Vegetable tikka masala: This variation is made with vegetables instead of chicken.
- Paneer tikka masala: This variation is made with paneer, a type of Indian cheese.
- Chicken tikka masala with coconut milk: This variation is made with coconut milk instead of yogurt.
- Chicken tikka masala with spinach: This variation is made with spinach.
- Chicken tikka masala with mango: This variation is made with mango.
Chicken tikka masala is typically served over rice or with naan bread. It can also be served with other Indian dishes, such as samosas, pakoras, or raita.
Chicken tikka masala is a delicious and healthy dish that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. This recipe is a healthier version of the classic dish that is still full of flavor. So next time you are looking for a healthy and flavorful meal, try this chicken tikka masala recipe.
Frequently Discussed Topics
Q: Can I use other types of meat in this recipe?
A: Yes, you can use other types of meat in this recipe, such as lamb, beef, or shrimp.
Q: Can I make this dish in a slow cooker?
A: Yes, you can make this dish in a slow cooker. Simply combine all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Q: Can I freeze this dish?
A: Yes, you can freeze this dish. Simply let it cool completely and then transfer it to an airtight container. It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.