What To Know
- The use of Filipino ingredients like soy sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar creates a unique and delicious teriyaki sauce that perfectly complements the tender chicken.
- This Filipino-style chicken teriyaki recipe is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is sure to please everyone at your table.
- Yes, you can make the teriyaki sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Chicken teriyaki is a Japanese dish that has become a popular favorite around the world. It is typically made with chicken marinated in a sweet and savory teriyaki sauce, then grilled or pan-fried. In this blog post, we’ll share an easy Filipino-style chicken teriyaki recipe that is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
Filipino Chicken Teriyaki: A Unique Blend of Flavors
Filipino cuisine is known for its rich and flavorful dishes, and this chicken teriyaki recipe is no exception. The use of Filipino ingredients like soy sauce, vinegar, and brown sugar creates a unique and delicious teriyaki sauce that perfectly complements the tender chicken.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
1. Marinate the Chicken: In a large bowl, combine the chicken, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and black pepper. Mix well to coat the chicken evenly. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
2. Make the Teriyaki Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch and water. Stir until smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Cook the Chicken: Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the teriyaki sauce. Stir to coat the chicken evenly. Simmer for 5-7 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
4. Garnish and Serve: Transfer the chicken teriyaki to a serving dish and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve with rice and your favorite vegetables.
Tips for Making the Best Filipino Chicken Teriyaki
- Use high-quality ingredients. The better the ingredients, the better the dish will taste.
- Don’t overcook the chicken. Overcooked chicken will be dry and tough.
- Serve the chicken teriyaki with your favorite sides. Some popular options include rice, noodles, and vegetables.
- Experiment with different flavors. You can add other ingredients to the teriyaki sauce to create your own unique flavor profile.
Health Benefits of Chicken Teriyaki
Chicken teriyaki is a relatively healthy dish, especially when made with lean chicken breasts. It is a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. The teriyaki sauce is also a good source of antioxidants.
Variations on the Filipino Chicken Teriyaki Recipe
There are many different ways to make chicken teriyaki. Here are a few variations on the recipe above:
- Use different cuts of chicken. You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts. Thighs are a bit more flavorful and juicy.
- Add vegetables to the dish. Stir-fry some vegetables like broccoli, carrots, and onions along with the chicken.
- Make a spicy teriyaki sauce. Add a teaspoon or two of chili powder or Sriracha sauce to the teriyaki sauce.
- Serve the chicken teriyaki with different sides. Try serving it with mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or a salad.
Recommendations: A Taste of the Philippines in Every Bite
This Filipino-style chicken teriyaki recipe is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is sure to please everyone at your table. The combination of sweet, savory, and tangy flavors is irresistible. So next time you’re looking for a quick and tasty meal, give this recipe a try.
What You Need to Know
Q: Can I use frozen chicken for this recipe?
- A: Yes, you can use frozen chicken. Just be sure to thaw it completely before marinating it.
Q: How long can I marinate the chicken?
- A: You can marinate the chicken for as little as 30 minutes or up to overnight. The longer you marinate it, the more flavorful it will be.
Q: Can I make the teriyaki sauce ahead of time?
- A: Yes, you can make the teriyaki sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just be sure to reheat it before using it.