What To Know
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through.
- * The sauce can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through.
If you’re in the mood for some sweet and sour chicken but don’t want to leave the house, making it at home is the perfect solution! This recipe is easy, quick, and tastes just like your favorite Chinese takeout. Plus, you can customize it to your liking by adding your favorite veggies or using different sauces. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get cooking!
How To Make Sweet And Sour Chicken At Home
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced green bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced yellow bell pepper
1. Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
2. In a large zip-top bag, combine the cornstarch and chicken. Seal the bag and shake to coat the chicken with the cornstarch.
3. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the water, ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt.
5. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through.
6. Stir in the green onions, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
7. Serve the sweet and sour chicken over rice or noodles.
* You can use any type of chicken for this recipe, but boneless, skinless chicken breast is our favorite.
* The cornstarch helps to create a crispy coating on the chicken.
* The sauce can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
What Is The Best Recipe For Sweet And Sour Chicken?
- 1. Combine chicken, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl.
- 2. Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- 3. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Add the pineapple, bell pepper, and onion to the skillet and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 5. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and ketchup.
- 6. Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and stir to coat.
- 7. Cook until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- 8. Serve over rice or noodles.
What Are Some Tips For Making Sweet And Sour Chicken?
Sweet and sour chicken is one of the most popular dishes in Chinese cuisine. This dish is not only delicious but also very easy to make. In this article, we will share some tips for making sweet and sour chicken.
* 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup white vinegar
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/4 cup ketchup
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon grated ginger
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken and cornstarch. Mix well to coat the chicken.
2. In a large skillet or wok, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar, water, ketchup, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
4. Pour the sauce over the chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked through.
5. Serve the chicken over rice or noodles.
How Can I Make Sure My Sweet And Sour Chicken Is Crispy?
To make your sweet and sour chicken crispy, it’s important to follow a few key steps. First, be sure to pat the chicken dry with paper towels before coating it in cornstarch. This will help the cornstarch adhere to the chicken and create a crispy exterior.
Next, it’s important to fry the chicken in hot oil. The oil should be about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If the oil is too cold, the chicken will absorb too much of it and become greasy. If the oil is too hot, the chicken will burn on the outside before it’s cooked through.
It’s also important not to overcrowd the pan when frying the chicken. If the pieces are too close together, they will steam instead of fry and become soggy.
Finally, be sure to let the chicken drain on paper towels after frying. This will help remove any excess oil and make the coating crispy.
Can I Use A Different Type Of Meat To Make Sweet And Sour Chicken?
You can use different types of meat to make sweet and sour chicken. Some popular options include chicken, pork, beef, and shrimp. The cooking time and method may vary depending on the type of meat you choose. For example, chicken will cook faster than beef or pork. Additionally, the flavors of the sauce may vary depending on the type of meat you use. For example, chicken pairs well with a classic sweet and sour sauce, while pork or beef pairs well with a slightly sweet sauce.
Are There Any Substitutes For The Ingredients In A Sweet And Sour Chicken Recipe?
The ingredients in a sweet and sour chicken recipe include chicken, cornstarch, eggs, salt, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and vegetable oil. There are several substitutes that can be used in place of some of these ingredients.
One substitute for cornstarch is arrowroot powder. Arrowroot powder is made from the roots of the cassava plant and can be used as a thickening agent in sweet and sour chicken.
Eggs can also be substituted in a sweet and sour chicken recipe. There are several egg replacers on the market that can be used in place of eggs. These egg replacers include products like Ener-G Egg Replacer and Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer.
Salt and sugar can also be substituted in a sweet and sour chicken recipe. Salt can be replaced with soy sauce, and sugar can be replaced with honey or maple syrup.
Vinegar can also be substituted in a sweet and sour chicken recipe. Vinegar can be replaced with lemon juice or lime juice.
Vegetable oil can be replaced with coconut oil or avocado oil. Coconut oil has a sweet, nutty flavor, while avocado oil has a light, buttery flavor.
Overall, there are several substitutes that can be used in a sweet and sour chicken recipe. By using these substitutes, you can create a delicious and healthy version of this popular dish.
“With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you can create this classic dish at home. Whether you’re a beginner cook or a seasoned pro, sweet and sour chicken is a delicious and easy-to-make meal that is sure to impress. Give this recipe a try and see for yourself how amazing it tastes!