Orange chicken is a popular dish among lovers of Chinese food. However, it can be difficult to find a recipe for orange chicken that is gluten free. In this blog post, we will discuss how to make gluten free orange chicken at home. We’ll provide a step-by-step recipe that has been tested and is sure to turn out delicious!
How To Make Orange Chicken Gluten Free
Orange chicken is delicious, but it can be tough to find gluten-free versions when you’re out to eat. Thankfully, this sweet, tangy dish is easy to make at home with just a few simple ingredients.
To make gluten-free orange chicken, start by gathering the ingredients:
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup rice flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 large orange, zested and juiced
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, rice flour, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the water, vegetable oil, orange juice, honey, and soy sauce.
Dip the chicken pieces into the cornstarch mixture, then coat them thoroughly with the orange juice mixture. Place the coated chicken pieces on a baking sheet or plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the coated chicken pieces on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
While the chicken is baking, whisk together the orange zest, orange juice, green onions, and cilantro.
Remove the chicken from the oven and drizzle the orange sauce over the top.
Serve the chicken over rice or noodles, or enjoy it on its own.
This gluten-free orange chicken is easy to make and tastes just like the real thing. It’s perfect for a weeknight meal or a special occasion.
What Are The Main Ingredients In Traditional Orange Chicken?
- 1. Chicken
- 2. Orange juice
- 3. Flour
- 4. Soy sauce
What Are Some Common Sources Of Gluten In Chinese Food?
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. Some people are sensitive to gluten and must avoid it. Gluten can also be found in some unexpected places, including Chinese food.
Rice is naturally gluten-free, but it may be contaminated with gluten during processing. For example, rice may be processed on the same equipment as wheat, which can make it contaminated with gluten.
Soy sauce is also a common ingredient in Chinese food. Some soy sauces contain gluten, so it’s important to check the label if you are sensitive to gluten.
Some Chinese dishes, such as egg rolls and wontons, are made with wheat-based wrappers. These dishes should be avoided if you are sensitive to gluten.
It’s also important to remember that cross-contamination can occur in restaurants. For example, if a restaurant uses the same wok to cook gluten-free and gluten-containing foods, the gluten-free food may become contaminated with gluten.
If you are sensitive to gluten, it’s important to be aware of the potential sources of gluten in Chinese food. You may want to ask your server about the ingredients in any dish you are unsure about. It’s also a good idea to check the label of any sauces or condiments you are using, to ensure they are gluten-free.
What Are Some Possible Substitutes For Wheat-based Flour In Gluten-free Cooking?
Wheat-based flour is a staple in many kitchens, but for those with gluten intolerance or celiac disease, it’s off limits. Thankfully, there are many gluten-free alternatives that can be used in cooking. Here are some options:
Almond flour: Made from ground almonds, this flour has a nutty flavor and works well in baked goods.
Coconut flour: Made from ground coconut meat, this flour absorbs a lot of liquid, so it’s best used in combination with other flours.
Tapioca flour: Made from the root of the cassava plant, this flour has a slightly sweet flavor and is commonly used in gluten-free baking.
Buckwheat flour: Despite its name, buckwheat is actually a seed, not a grain. It has a nutty flavor and works well in pancakes and crepes.
Quinoa flour: Made from ground quinoa, this flour has a slightly nutty flavor and works well in baked goods.
Brown rice flour: Made from ground brown rice, this flour has a slightly sweet flavor and works well in baked goods.
It’s important to keep in mind that these flours may have different properties than wheat flour, so you may need to adjust the amount of liquid or other ingredients in your recipe. Additionally, some gluten-free flours can be expensive, so you may want to experiment with different ones to find the ones you like best.
What Are Some Tips For Finding Gluten-free Versions Of Common Chinese Food Ingredients?
Finding gluten-free versions of common Chinese food ingredients can be difficult, but it is possible. Here are a few tips to help you:
1. Look for ingredients that are naturally gluten-free: Many ingredients used in Chinese cooking are naturally gluten-free, such as vegetables, tofu, and meat.
2. Use gluten-free soy sauce: Gluten-free soy sauce is available in most grocery stores. You can use it in place of regular soy sauce in recipes.
3. Use gluten-free noodles: There are many brands of gluten-free noodles available in stores. You can use them in place of regular noodles in recipes.
4. Use gluten-free thickeners: Gluten-free thickeners, such as cornstarch or arrowroot powder, can be used in recipes in place of wheat-based thickeners.
5. Be cautious of cross-contamination: Many restaurants use shared cooking equipment and utensils, which can result in cross-contamination with gluten. Be sure to ask restaurants about their practices before ordering.
By following these tips, you can find gluten-free versions of common Chinese food ingredients and enjoy your favorite dishes without worrying about gluten.
What Are Some Tips For Cooking Gluten-free Chinese Food At Home?
1. Use a gluten-free soy sauce: Gluten-free soy sauce is readily available in most grocery stores.
2. Use cornstarch instead of flour: Cornstarch is a great substitute for flour in gluten-free cooking. It can be used to thicken sauces and coat meats.
3. Avoid wheat-based noodles: Most Chinese noodles are made from wheat, so it’s best to avoid them. Instead, use rice noodles or gluten-free spaghetti.
4. Use gluten-free ingredients: There are many gluten-free versions of common Chinese ingredients, such as gluten-free soy sauce, gluten-free oyster sauce, and gluten-free hoisin sauce.
5. Cook from scratch: If you’re really concerned about cross-contamination, it’s best to cook from scratch. This way, you can control the ingredients and ensure that they are gluten-free.
6. Use a food thermometer: Gluten-free Chinese food can sometimes be tricky to cook, so using a food thermometer can help ensure that your food is cooked properly.
7. Read labels: Many packaged foods, even those that are labeled as gluten-free, can contain trace amounts of gluten. It’s important to read labels carefully and avoid products that may contain gluten.
By following these tips, you can enjoy delicious gluten-free Chinese food at home.
The Bottom Line
In conclusion, orange chicken is a delicious and flavorful dish that can be made gluten free with a few simple adjustments. By following these easy recipes, you can enjoy the flavors of orange chicken without worrying about gluten.