Chicken Marsala is a beloved dish, but the traditional preparation can feel a bit too heavy sometimes. This recipe calls for no cream, instead using a little bit of flour and butter to thicken the sauce. The results are delicious, and much lighter than the original.
How To Make Chicken Marsala Without Heavy Cream
Chicken Marsala is a classic Italian dish that is made with chicken, mushrooms, and Marsala wine. The sauce is usually made with heavy cream, but this recipe will show you how to make chicken marsala without heavy cream.
To make chicken marsala without heavy cream, you will need:
* 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon paprika
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 cup sliced mushrooms
* 1/2 cup Marsala wine
* 1/2 cup chicken broth
* 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Start by preparing the chicken breasts. Cut them into thin strips and then place them in a bowl. Add the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, oregano, basil, and parsley to the bowl. Stir to combine.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until they have released some of their moisture. Add the Marsala wine and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced by half.
Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and cook for another 5-6 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Serve the chicken marsala over pasta or rice.
Can I Use Milk Instead Of Heavy Cream In The Chicken Marsala Recipe?
- Yes, you can use milk instead of heavy cream in the chicken Marsala recipe. Here are the sweet and helpful tips:
- 1. Use whole milk or 2% milk instead of heavy cream.
- 2. Add a little bit of cornstarch to the milk to thicken it.
- 3. Use a little less milk than heavy cream.
- 4. Cook the milk with the other ingredients until it’s thickened.
- 5. Serve the chicken Marsala with pasta or rice.
How Can I Thicken The Sauce Without Using Heavy Cream?
Thickening a sauce without using heavy cream can be achieved in several ways. Using cornstarch or flour is a common method, as is adding puréed vegetables or starches. Here are a few ways to thicken a sauce without using heavy cream:
1. Cornstarch: Cornstarch is a common thickening agent that can be used in place of heavy cream. To use cornstarch, mix equal parts cornstarch and water to create a slurry. Add the slurry to the sauce while stirring continuously. Allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes until the cornstarch has fully dissolved and thickened the sauce.
2. Flour: Flour can also be used to thicken a sauce. Similar to cornstarch, mix equal parts flour and water to create a slurry. Add the slurry to the sauce while stirring continuously. Allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes until the flour has fully dissolved and thickened the sauce.
3. Puréed vegetables: Puréed vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, or squash can be used to thicken a sauce. Simply add the puréed vegetables to the sauce while stirring continuously. Allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes until the vegetables have fully dissolved and thickened the sauce.
4. Starches: Starches such as arrowroot powder, tapioca flour, or rice flour can also be used to thicken a sauce. Mix a small amount of the starch with water to create a slurry. Add the slurry to the sauce while stirring continuously. Allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes until the starch has fully dissolved and thickened the sauce.
It is important to note that using these methods will result in a sauce that has a different texture and consistency than heavy cream. Additionally, these sauces may not be as rich or creamy as heavy cream-based sauces.
What Other Substitutes Can I Use For The Heavy Cream In The Chicken Marsala Recipe?
In a pinch, half and half will work well in recipes that call for heavy cream. However, if you do not have any on hand, you can also use milk. Milk is lower in fat than heavy cream, so it will change the texture and taste of your dish slightly. You can use whole milk or 2% milk, but the lower the fat content of the milk, the more watered down your dish will be. You can also use coconut milk as a substitution for heavy cream. It has a similar fat content to heavy cream and can add a subtle coconut flavor to your dish.
How Do I Make The Sauce More Flavorful Without Using Heavy Cream?
One way to make a sauce more flavorful without using heavy cream is to add flavorful ingredients such as herbs and spices. For instance, you can add fresh or dried herbs like basil, oregano, or thyme, or spices like garlic, paprika, or cumin. Another way to make a sauce more flavorful is to use acidic ingredients such as vinegar or lemon juice. These ingredients can help to balance out the flavors in a sauce and add a touch of brightness. Finally, using ingredients that are high in umami, such as tomato paste, soy sauce, or parmesan cheese, can also help to make a sauce more flavorful. These ingredients can help to create a rich, savory flavor that can enhance the flavors of the sauce.
How Do I Cook The Chicken In The Chicken Marsala Recipe Without Using Heavy Cream?
In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess. Add half the chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining oil and chicken.
In the same skillet, add the mushrooms and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the Marsala and broth and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve over pasta or rice.
In conclusion, making chicken Marsala without heavy cream is easy and delicious. This recipe is healthy, flavorful, and sure to be a hit with your family and friends. Give this recipe a try and let us know what you think!