Chicken Marsala is a rich, flavorful dish that is perfect for a special occasion. It is made from chicken that is dredged in flour and sautéed in butter, then simmered in a sauce made from Marsala wine, mushrooms, and stock. The chicken is served with pasta or rice, and it is often garnished with parsley.
How To Make Chicken Marsala At Home
When my husband and I were first married, he would regularly order Chicken Marsala when we would dine out. Of course, it was never quite as good as my homemade version, so this recipe is one of our favorites. This is a delicious chicken dish filled with mushrooms and wine.
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup butter
1 pound sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup Marsala wine
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1. Cut chicken into thin slices.
2. In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper.
3. Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
4. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet.
5. Add chicken to skillet and cook until lightly browned.
6. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
7. Add mushrooms to skillet and cook until mushrooms are tender.
8. Add Marsala wine to skillet and stir to scrape browned bits from bottom of skillet.
9. Add chicken broth and cream to skillet.
10. Return chicken to skillet and simmer until sauce thickens.
11. Stir in parsley and serve over pasta or rice.
This recipe can easily be doubled. The sauce freezes well, so you can make more chicken and store the leftovers in the freezer for a quick meal.
What Are The Key Ingredients Needed To Make Chicken Marsala?
- Chicken Marsala is a delicious dish that is made with a few key ingredients. Here are the key ingredients needed to make chicken marsala:
- 1. Chicken breasts
- 2. Marsala wine
- 3. Flour
- 4. Butter
Can You Suggest Any Substitutes For Any Of The Ingredients If They’re Not Readily Available?
Yes, absolutely! There are many ingredient substitutions that can be made for those that are hard to find or may not be readily available in your area. Here are a few suggestions:
1. Flour: If you have trouble finding all-purpose flour, you can try substituting it with other flours such as whole wheat, bread flour, or cake flour. You can also use cornstarch or rice flour as a gluten-free alternative.
2. Sugar: If you don’t have white sugar, you can use brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup as a substitute. These alternatives will add a different flavor to your recipe, so it’s important to adjust the amount accordingly.
3. Eggs: If you don’t have eggs, you can use applesauce, mashed bananas, or flax seeds as substitutes. These substitutes will help to bind the ingredients in your recipe, but they won’t provide the same structure as eggs.
4. Butter: If you don’t have butter, you can use margarine, olive oil, or coconut oil as a substitute. These alternatives will add a different flavor to your recipe, so it’s important to adjust the amount accordingly.
5. Milk: If you don’t have milk, you can use almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk as a substitute. These alternatives will add a different flavor to your recipe, so it’s important to adjust the amount accordingly.
It’s important to keep in mind that these substitutions may not work perfectly in every recipe, so you may need to experiment a bit to find the perfect substitute.
Can You Provide A Rough Estimate Of The Cooking Time For Chicken Marsala?
The cooking time for chicken marsala depends on a few factors, including the thickness and size of the chicken cut, as well as the temperature of the stove or oven. As a general rule of thumb, chicken marsala takes around 30-40 minutes to cook.
The first step is to dredge the chicken in flour, salt, and pepper. Then, heat some oil in a pan over medium-high heat and cook the chicken until golden brown on both sides. Next, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
In the same pan, add some more oil if needed and cook the onions and garlic until they are soft. Then, add the mushrooms and continue to cook until they are soft. Finally, add the Marsala wine and cook until the sauce thickens.
Once the sauce is ready, return the chicken to the pan and coat it with the sauce. Then, cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil and cook the chicken for 20-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Remember to check the chicken periodically to make sure it is cooking evenly and not drying out. Also, be sure to adjust the cooking time if you are using thicker or thinner chicken cuts.
Are There Any Special Techniques Or Tricks To Making The Sauce For Chicken Marsala?
To make chicken Marsala, there are a few special techniques and tricks that you can follow. First, you will need to create a rich, flavorful sauce by cooking the mushrooms, onions, and garlic in butter until they are soft. Then, you can add the Marsala wine and cook it down until it is reduced by half. Finally, you can add the chicken stock and cream and simmer the sauce until it is thickened. To make the chicken, you will need to dredge it in flour, then brown it in butter. Then, you can add it to the sauce and simmer it until the chicken is cooked through. Finally, you can serve the chicken Marsala over pasta or rice.
What Are Some Side Dishes That Go Well With Chicken Marsala?
Chicken Marsala is a delicious dish that is popular in restaurants, but you can make it at home as well. It is made with chicken, mushrooms, and Marsala wine. It is typically served over pasta or rice. If you want to serve Chicken Marsala, you need to pair it with side dishes that will complement the dish.
One side dish that goes well with Chicken Marsala is roasted vegetables. You can roast a variety of vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. These vegetables will pair well with the mushrooms and Marsala wine in the Chicken Marsala.
Another side dish that goes well with Chicken Marsala is mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes are a classic side dish that goes well with many types of dishes. The creamy potatoes will pair well with the mushrooms and Marsala wine in the Chicken Marsala.
If you are looking for a healthier side dish, you can try roasted Brussels sprouts. Brussels sprouts are roasted in the oven until they are crispy. They are delicious and nutritious.
You can also serve roasted potatoes with Chicken Marsala. Roasted potatoes are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. They are a classic side dish that goes well with many types of dishes.
If you are looking for a sweet side dish, you can try roasted sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are roasted in the oven until they are soft and caramelized. They are delicious and nutritious.
In conclusion, mastering the art of cooking chicken Marsala at home may seem challenging, but with careful preparation and practice, it can become a simple and satisfying task. By following these straightforward instructions, you can enjoy the mouth-watering flavors of this classic dish in the comfort of your own home. So gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and get ready to impress your friends and family with a delicious homemade chicken Marsala!