Chicken Katsu Curry is a rich, flavorful Japanese dish that will make you feel like you’re dining in a Tokyo restaurant. The curry sauce is creamy with a slightly spicy kick, and the chicken is crispy and juicy. It’s easy to make at home, and it’s perfect for a weeknight meal or a special occasion.
How To Make Chicken Katsu Curry From Scratch
Chicken Katsu Curry is one of the most popular Japanese dishes, and it’s easy to see why. The combination of crispy, golden-fried chicken, rich curry sauce, and fluffy rice is irresistible. This dish may seem intimidating to make at home, but it’s actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to make chicken katsu curry from scratch.
For the curry sauce:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
For the chicken:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying
To make the curry sauce, heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt, and cayenne pepper and cook for another minute. Stir in the diced tomatoes, coconut milk, honey, and soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water, then stir the mixture into the sauce. Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
To make the chicken, cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, then butterfly them by cutting each half in half again.
What Is The History Of Chicken Katsu Curry?
- Chicken Katsu Curry is a dish that originated in Japan. It is made with chicken that is breaded and fried, and served with a curry sauce. The dish has become popular in many countries, and there are many different versions of it.
What Is The Difference Between Chicken Katsu Curry And Other Types Of Curry?
Chicken Katsu Curry is a dish that originated in Japan. It is a type of curry that is popular worldwide and can be found in many restaurants. Chicken Katsu Curry is made with chicken that is breaded and fried, and served with a curry sauce. The curry sauce is made with a variety of spices and vegetables, and is typically thickened with flour or cornstarch.
There are many different types of curry, and each one has its own unique flavor. Some of the most popular types of curry include Indian curry, Thai curry, and Malaysian curry. Each type of curry is made with different spices and ingredients, and has a different flavor.
Chicken Katsu Curry is a type of curry that is popular in Japan, and is made with chicken that is breaded and fried. The curry sauce is made with a variety of spices and vegetables, and is typically thickened with flour or cornstarch.
What Are The Key Ingredients Needed To Make Chicken Katsu Curry?
* Chicken breast
* Panko breadcrumbs
* All-purpose flour
* Vegetable oil
* Curry powder
* Coconut milk
First, you will need to cut the chicken into thin strips. Then, you will need to coat the chicken in a mixture of all-purpose flour, eggs, and panko breadcrumbs.
Next, you will need to heat some vegetable oil in a pan and fry the chicken until it is golden brown and crispy.
While the chicken is frying, you can prepare the curry sauce. Start by sautéing onion, garlic, and ginger in a pan. Then, add curry powder and coconut milk and simmer until the sauce thickens.
Once the chicken is cooked, you can add it to the curry sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes. Then, you can serve the chicken katsu curry over rice with a side of vegetables.
Chicken katsu curry is a delicious and flavorful dish that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make and sure to be a hit with your friends and family.
What Is The Best Way To Bread The Chicken For Chicken Katsu Curry?
Breading the chicken for chicken katsu curry is an essential step to achieving the characteristic crispy and flavorful crust that the dish is known for. Here’s a step-by-step guide to breading the chicken:
1. Prepare the Breading Mixture: Mix together all-purpose flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. You can also include other seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, or paprika if desired.
2. Dredge the Chicken: Dip each piece of chicken into the flour mixture, coating both sides evenly. Tap off any excess flour.
3. Beaten Eggs: In a separate shallow bowl, beat two eggs with a splash of water. Dip the floured chicken into the egg mixture, making sure to coat all sides.
4. Panko Breadcrumbs: Place the panko breadcrumbs in a third shallow bowl. Dip the floured and egg-coated chicken into the panko breadcrumbs, pressing lightly to coat all sides.
5. Shallow Frying: Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the breaded chicken into the pan. Fry for about 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
What Are The Steps Involved In Making Chicken Katsu Curry?
Making chicken katsu curry is a multi-step process. Here are the steps involved:
1. Start by preparing the curry sauce. Heat some oil in a pan, and then add diced onions, garlic, and ginger. Cook until the onions are soft.
2. Add curry powder, salt, and pepper to the pan. Stir to combine.
3. Add coconut milk to the pan. Stir to combine.
4. Bring the curry sauce to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer the sauce for 10-15 minutes.
5. While the curry sauce is simmering, prepare the katsu sauce. In a small bowl, combine ketchup, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
6. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper.
7. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, and then dip it in the beaten egg.
8. Coat the chicken in the bread crumbs.
9. Heat some oil in a pan, and then fry the chicken until golden brown.
10. Serve the chicken katsu curry with the curry sauce and katsu sauce.
In a nutshell
Chicken Katsu Curry is a delicious Japanese dish that can be made at home with just a few simple ingredients. In this article, we will show you how to make chicken katsu curry from scratch, including how to make the katsu sauce. We hope you found this tutorial helpful and that you enjoy making chicken katsu curry at home!